Skip to main content

Trying to Read Novels Again

I used to read novels by the bucketload. From around sixteen to my late twenties. Hesse, Camus, Undset, Hamsun, Boll, Vidal, Vonnegut, Lewis Grassic Gibbon, Greene. I lvoed them. They told me ways of seeing life.

But the attraction waned. I don't know why. Maybe my four years of travelling and working my way around the world replaced novels as a way of seeing with seeing sites and meeting people as a way of seeing life. Maybe my subsequent settling down to full-time work, marriage, and parenthood did likewise, though I know many people who devour novels despite or because of these duties.

Anyway, periodically I try to reignite the passion, perceiving that I'm out of touch with contemporary fiction, and that all literature is a "good thing".

As an aside the one writer who managed to break through my disapointment and lethargy about novels was - maybe still is, as I haven't read him in the past five years or more - Somerset Maugham. Not the most fashionable of novelists and short-story writers but generally still held in high esteem by some.

So a week ago I bought, not by design but simply because I saw it there, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk. Nobel Prize Winner as recently as 2018. I quite liked it but not enough to continue past page 58. It had interesting moments, speculative writing and views which drew me, but overall my mind weighed up the use of time reading it with the use of time exploring more directly the existential issues we all face, and found it the lesser subject.

Ultimately I couldn't really care what the woman narrator eventually experiences or finds out about Big Foot, the neighbour who was found dead in his house. Or Oddball's life or his son's, the policeman. Not even the narrator's compassion for animals or her non-conformist belief system that so unsettles traditional Catholics in real life - not sure if any similar issue occurs in the novel.

It's not Tokarczuk's fault as a writer. I can hardly claim superior insight into literature than the Nobel Committee who gave her the grandest of literary honours, nor do I doubt their ability to do so, as some more opinionated critics have done.

I'll give the book to a charity and hope someone else really does enjoy it and find something meaningful or challening in it. But for me, after between a fifth and a quarter way through it I ran out of fuel. The fuel being the passion to read out, find out more, glean something special from it.

Novels don't seem to give me that any more. Which is, through nostalgic lenses, a real shame, but through the lens of mindfulness, just how it is, and I move on, using my time in other ways hopefully more productive and useful to me and to those around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C.R.P. 4: 114

  You examine everything in too much detail. Who but the perfect person could comprehend all this. Their discernment unearths all falsehood. They get to the heart of issues and know how to protect the foundation of truth. They ignore all life... The perfect person has set their heart upon what is right. This is an analysis of what we should focus on in our lives. Not knowledge and its infinite distractions from what matters. The flow of existence is so enormous, so ancient, so multifaceted that we can't really grasp it so instead we should just accept it. The falsehood Chuang refers to is all human attempts to control, manipulate, conquer nature. The foundation of truth is that all life, all events, all experiences are simply inevitable part of this single flow. We he writes that they ignore all life, I think he means all human matters, all our petty ideas and discussions, and all our perceived grand plans, visions, concepts. What is right is going with the flow of existence, and t...

Lessons from the Book of Chuang Tzu - Chapter 19

**Know the difference between enjoying and engaging with the Universe and humanity** Don't look for the Universal in humans, but listen to the universal in the universe, for paying attention to the beauties and wonders of the Universe is life-giving, while attending to humanity damages life. So basically what is human in not worthy of our attention - except kindness - whilst the magnificence of the Universe is what to notice and enjoy.

Chuang Random Page 3: 134

  The people had knowledge but they didn't use it; all this was perfect Oneness. Ruling by decrees and grand plans, they polluted the purity of nature and destroyed simplicity. The Tao was abandoned and Good substituted. Then innate nature was abandoned and hearts allowed to determine their own way. Heart linked with heart through knowledge but were unable to give the world peace. Pomp and ceremony were added to this knowledge. This displaced simplicity, resulting in the people being confused and disobedient. Perceiving this, we can see how the world has lost the Tao. In this sort of world how can the world come to appreciate the Tao? Even if the sage does not retreat to the forest his virtue is still hidden whether he likes it or not. The times were not favourable and it was not possible, so they put down deep roots, remained still and waited. This was the Tao by which they survived. To have knowledge is by itself no bad thing. But to use it starts to unfurl the connection between...