Skip to main content

Vinyl Records

I used to have a large collection of albums, maybe around 200 or so, from two main periods: the late 60s to mid 70s ie pre-punk; then the following few years, the years of punk, new wave, and reggae. It all stopped when I sold my records in 1983 to help fund my travelling which ultimately led toa near four years working my way around the world. I say working my way but actually I onlt worked in three countries - Greece, Australia, and New Zealand. All the rest I managed to do on what I had earned from those jobs.

Anyway a couple of years ago I got a record player for my Christmas and started buying albums again. And now, being an out of touch old fogey, re-bought some of the albums I already had eg. Exile on Main Street, and Blue, and bought as vinyl for the first time many albums I had bought as CDs. eg. Love's Forever Changes.

In the interim years I had totally lost my love of punk and new wave so I haven't bought any more of those, not even Never Mind The Bollocks, though I made an exception for the wonderful Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Despite my son's best efforts I still can't properly get into contemporary music, probably because I haven't tried to break through the unfamiliarity gap.

But recently I've not been so keen on adding to the standards or expected albums from my now classic late 60s to mid 70s era. So no Neil Young, Bob Dylan, etc. Whereas a year or two ago even seeing the album covers did something good in me, now they're kind of samey in my mind. But what I found on Amazon earlier this week was that a lot of refound live or radio performances by bands are now being released as - relatively cheap - vinyl records. So I got my first one - early live performances in Europe by The Move.

So I like the idea of buying niche albums by bands from that classic period, rather than their classic ones, which I already know, both musically and album covers. It'll be interesting to see if this form of cllecting holds sway for any length of time.

One of the things that particularly interests me about this is the idea of imperfect and incomplete things. Demos, first takes, early versions, unedited ones, etc. Live music has a similar unpredictability about it. I like demos, often more than the finished versions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C.R.P. 4: 114

  You examine everything in too much detail. Who but the perfect person could comprehend all this. Their discernment unearths all falsehood. They get to the heart of issues and know how to protect the foundation of truth. They ignore all life... The perfect person has set their heart upon what is right. This is an analysis of what we should focus on in our lives. Not knowledge and its infinite distractions from what matters. The flow of existence is so enormous, so ancient, so multifaceted that we can't really grasp it so instead we should just accept it. The falsehood Chuang refers to is all human attempts to control, manipulate, conquer nature. The foundation of truth is that all life, all events, all experiences are simply inevitable part of this single flow. We he writes that they ignore all life, I think he means all human matters, all our petty ideas and discussions, and all our perceived grand plans, visions, concepts. What is right is going with the flow of existence, and t...

Lessons from the Book of Chuang Tzu - Chapter 19

**Know the difference between enjoying and engaging with the Universe and humanity** Don't look for the Universal in humans, but listen to the universal in the universe, for paying attention to the beauties and wonders of the Universe is life-giving, while attending to humanity damages life. So basically what is human in not worthy of our attention - except kindness - whilst the magnificence of the Universe is what to notice and enjoy.

Chuang Random Page 3: 134

  The people had knowledge but they didn't use it; all this was perfect Oneness. Ruling by decrees and grand plans, they polluted the purity of nature and destroyed simplicity. The Tao was abandoned and Good substituted. Then innate nature was abandoned and hearts allowed to determine their own way. Heart linked with heart through knowledge but were unable to give the world peace. Pomp and ceremony were added to this knowledge. This displaced simplicity, resulting in the people being confused and disobedient. Perceiving this, we can see how the world has lost the Tao. In this sort of world how can the world come to appreciate the Tao? Even if the sage does not retreat to the forest his virtue is still hidden whether he likes it or not. The times were not favourable and it was not possible, so they put down deep roots, remained still and waited. This was the Tao by which they survived. To have knowledge is by itself no bad thing. But to use it starts to unfurl the connection between...